Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Quiet - but not silenced.

You may have noticed, I've been scarce around these parts lately.  Well, it hasn't been intentional and it's not because I don't have anything to say - really, it's just because I've been super busy at life.  My two passions, my job and playing poker - not to mention the most important thing of all, my family, these days really do take up all of my time.

But today, I have a cold.  My head is stuffy, and the stars and planets have aligned at work to allow me a day of respite.  So I will attempt to lay out here, where my head is at politically and in regards to the state of our country.

I officially retired from posting and commenting on politics via' Facebook in 2016, and I'm happy to say I have (for the most part) kept to my abstinence from these things.  I do slip once in awhile in commenting in a friend's thread (and then immediately withdraw) or posting my own article about the ever deplorable state of the homeless (mentally ill addicts) in this country and more specifically in Los Angeles, but I don't really consider that issue political.  (Though plenty of people chime in anyways about Trump this or liberal failures that).

In any case, I'm now quiet about politics.

Well, and then there's also my private chat group on FB where I've summarily taken each and every last one of my liberal friends who have dared to challenge me to the woodshed and basically pummeled them (verbally) into shame and silence.  Only one remains, my dear DSR, who though radically wrong in many ways on many issues, still has the brains and self-awareness to understand that politics are in the end not personal.  He also has enough faith in his own convictions that he is not as easily cowed as the others who have come and gone - and gone rather quickly when faced with my rapid fire intellectual beat downs.

And so, mostly, I am quiet about politics.

I learned many, many years before social media, to keep my opinions to myself about politics in all manner of company, both polite and also rowdy, if there were liberals among them.  I did at times indulge with my closest friends, but even then, as I valued their friendship far more than me being right, I would hold my tongue when we arrived at fundamental disagreements.  Which for some of them, our disagreements are scary deep - such as my friend who doesn't think our troops are the best and the bravest, he thinks they are mostly murderers.  That is a friend that I have known since grade school, had I met him later in life, I promise you we would not be friends.

But I digress a bit here.  My purpose with this post is to check in with this blog (though I plan to check in within this month again with my annual movie round-up) and let anyone who also still checks in here know, that I am quiet for now - but I have not been silenced.

I mostly avoid discussing politics these days, even in my private facebook group, because I have been turned from someone who was repulsed by Donald Trump and did NOT vote for him in the primary or the general - into someone who now will basically crawl over broken glass to support him.

Really, I have been so put off by the radical left - i.e. the mainstream democrat party - and their hatred for our president, who is kicking all kinds of ass policy-wise (record low unemployment, first wage growth in over a decade, record high stock market, GDP growth that Obama said was no longer possible, and on and on and on) that right now I am not avoiding talking politics because I don't want an argument - I am avoiding it because I don't want to bite someone's head off.

I am so angry with the left right now, it's rather scary, even to myself.

It started with Trump's inauguration and his speech that I thought was pretty great.

The media and Trump's opponents called it racist, and it just went downhill from there.

Then there was Kavanaugh and Covington - both cases of crazed lynch mobs, bringing the verdict first and then scrambling to find evidence that didn't exist.  Of course Kavanaugh was a gang rapist, what else would he be?  Of course that MAGA hat wearing kid was the instigator, and clearly a white nationalist.

Yeah, um, no.

Right now, I am so angry with those who think this impeachment fiasco is somehow justified or worthwhile - and are blind to how damaging it is to our country - that I really don't want to talk about it at all because I fear I will lose my temper and say things that I will regret.

I have to keep reminding myself that most people, even highly educated people, people who get a 100% on the written Jeopardy test and then pass the audition and actually go on the show - really don't care....



But make no mistake - if you are going through life and you think attacking the president, impeaching the president, doing everything and anything necessary to damage him or remove him is okay; half the country, including yours truly, is actually very, very, VERY angry at you for feeling this way.

From our point of view, if you want him removed from office you are un-American and an asshole.  I really believe this - and the left has pushed me here.  You have nothing on Trump.  NOTHING.  And you know it, and yet you don't care because an emotional victory is more important to you than logic or reason.

I understand he's off putting, I understand his character at times is questionable. I myself had qualms about voting for him - and I don't know if I've mentioned it here - but I actually did not vote for him in 2016.  I don't like his arrogance, his thin skin or his inability to control his temper.

But in the end, I look at what has happened economically, militarily and judicially to our country over the last year - and I can't help but understand that Trump has become a hundred times more the great conservative than I could ever have hoped.   And the hate from the left has grown exponentially and is vastly disproportionate to whatever flaws in character he might have.

The hate from the left is coming because of policy, not because Trump at times can be an impulsive jerk.  And that is what is so off-putting to me and why now I am a full throated Trump supporter.

Me, someone who has never liked Trump personally - now I think he is the greatest president in my lifetime.  More conservative than Ronald Reagan - and also a more effectual president.

Trump doesn't just talk (often like a jackass) - he gets it done.

Look at this tariff thing with China.  Across the political spectrum, both sides now are fairly astonished that his weaponization of tariff's actually worked - and we are now in the best position with China, with a workable and enforceable trade deal with teeth that has been signed off on for the first time - all because Trump was right.

Look at what happened with Iran - they are now cowed.  They now understand that you don't fuck with us.  Their response was to launch rockets into the dirt.    An actual red line was crossed and Trump responded viciously and disproportionately - as he should have.  The perfect response, and the only thing the Iranian leadership understands and respects - brute strength.  For the first time in 40 years, now there is a glimmer of hope for the Iranian people.  Trumps speech to them in the aftermath of the rockets into the dirt illuminated this and was a shining moment in his presidency.

Look at our judiciary.  As of this writing he has installed over 180 federal judges who are cut in the mold of Scalia.  Our Constitution will now be defended for generations across the country.  And the Supreme Court as well will be rock solid for decades to come.   And when RGB retires or passes away, Trump's legacy of SCOTUS appointments will become a trifecta of victory for liberty.

And finally, look at math.  Math doesn't care about your feelings.  All time historic record low unemployment numbers for people of color.  Wage growth.  A GDP at numbers that most on the left said would never be possible again.  Krugman said that the economy would 'crater' under Trump.  How very, very, VERY wrong he and his contemporaries were.

All I see, when I look at this Trump presidency is winning.   Trump himself said in his campaign that we would get sick of so much winning - and he was absolutely prophetic.

We are winning, and winning and winning over and over and OVER.  And all the left can do is play fucking games with souvenir pens and fist bumping on talk shows.



Just absurd and incredible really, just how much the left doesn't give a shit about truth or honor.

Yes, so you may have figured out - I've been quiet, but I'm not silenced.  I'm just over it.  And very angry at what folks on the left are doing to my president and in turn to those of us just right of center and a bit farther to the right of that as well.

Anyways, I'm eager to talk movies (with some political injection in there as well, this is my safe space for talking politics after all) and I'm looking forward to that in this space, in fairly short order, so stay tuned for that!



No comments: